BOOK - "Coaching Volleyball" by Kinda Asher, AVCA
Paperback - 352 pages (August 1997)
by Kinda Asher (Editor), American Volleyball Coaches Association (AVCA)
List Price: $19.95
You SAVE: $ 3.99 (20%)
Our Price: $15.96
The official handbook of the American Volleyball
Coaches Association, formerly called the AVCA
Handbook; reprinted in September 1997.
Supplemented by photographs, charts and
diagrams, the book presents the theories and
philosophies of some of the nation's successful
and respected volleyball authorities.
Table of Contents
The History of Volleyball
The History of the AVCA
Part I - Developing a Coaching Philosophy (Pages 1-40)
1. Coaches Code of Ethics and Conduct -
American Volleyball Coaches Association
2. Ethics in Coaching: Child Development or Child Abuse? -
Jay Coakley, Ph.D
3. A Sense of Dignity. - Kinda S. Asher
4. Principle Centered Coaching - Patti Stanton
5. The Give and the Take of Respect in Coaching - Michael Harnden
6. Interactive Behavior Between Official and Coach -
Terry Lawton, Ph.D., and Geri Polvino, Ph.D.
7. Students of the Game - Randy Dolson
8. Volleyball and Academic Success - Berkley Laite
Part 2 - Basic Elements - Individual Skills (Pages 41-114)
9. Digging - Kathy Gregory
10. Setting - Terry Condon and Sandy Lynn,
Edited by Laurel Brassey Iversen
11. Spiking - Mick Haley
12. Blocking - Doug Beal and Tony Crabb
13. Serving - Bob Gambardella
14. Receiving the Serve - Rosie Wegrich
15. Tactics and Strategy in Volleyball - Marilyn Nolen
Part 3 - Advanced Elements - Team Play (Pages 115-198)
16. Systems of Play - Ruth Nelson and Frances Compton
17. Offensive Combinations - Doug Beal
18. Service Reception - Dave Shoji
19. Net Defense: Option Blocking - Jim Coleman
20. Floor Defense: Back Court Defense - Terry Liskevych and
21. Elements of Transition - Andy Banachowski
Part 4 - Related Elements - Program Development (Pages 199-256)
22. Administration of a Volleyball Program - Stephanie Schleuder
23. Physical Training Factors - Greg Brislin, M. S., C. S. C. S.
24. Psychological Factors in Volleyball Performance - Nathaniel
Zinsser, Ph. D., Craig Wrisberg and Vanessa Draper
Part 5 - Statistics (Pages 257-274)
25. Graphing Statistical Performance - Linda Delk
26. Keeping Volleyball Statistics While Directing a Match -
M. Eileen Mathews
27. Recording Statistics Easily: The Schroeder System - Lois Mueller
Part 6 - Sports Nutrition (Pages 275-300)
28. The Daily Training Diet: Ensuring an Adequate Intake for
Performance Volleyball - Barbara Day, M.S., R.D., C.N.
29. Nutrition Strategies for Surviving Two-A-Days -
Barbara Day, M.S., R.D., C.N.
30. Eating on the Road - Jacqueline R. Berning, Ph.D., R.D.
31. Pre-Competition Meals - Len Marquart, Ph.D.
32. Eating Disorders in Athletes - Cheryl Fuller
Part 7 - Injury Prevention (Pages 301-323)
33. A Player's Guide to Screening For and Preventing Ankle Injury -
Reid Elam, Ph.D., L.A.T, C., C.S.C.S.
34. Balancing Injury with Performance Enhancement - Dan McDonough, A. T, C.
35. Remedial Exercises for the Prevention of Shoulder Injuries -
36. Low Back and Abdominal Injury Prevention and Preformance
Enhancement - Dan McDonough, A. T., C.
37. Spinal Stabilization for Volleyball -
Reid P. Elam, Ph.D., A.T., C., C.S.C.S.